Every night before bed I ask the kids a series of questions. Stuff like, "how was your day" "what did you like about today" "how are you feeling" and the main question, "how did Heavenly Father help you today". A while ago I read an article by President Eyring, and he talked about writing in his journal every night the different ways he saw Heavenly Father bless him each day. This helped him to recognize his blessings better, and I wanted to try it with my kids. So, we started doing these questions as a family each night. We talk about the ways we can recognize our blessings from Heavenly Father, the way he helps us, and how it makes us feel. It's become a really fun time and if I forget the kids immediately make sure to remind me to ask them "the questions".
Tonight after we did our questions I overheard Shawn tucking Liv in bed. He got up and tried to walk away, but she said, "wait dad, let's talk about our feelings." I hung back by the door in hopes to hear the conversation. Shawn asked Liv a few questions and she happily answered. Shawn said good night and walked away, only to be called back. "Dad, now tell me about your feelings." I couldn't help but laugh and smile at the same time. It was so sweet. Shawn did his best to talk about his "feelings", and I walked away with a big smile. There is something so sweet about a masculine father having a talk about feelings with his 4 year old daughter.
No comments:
Post a Comment